If you love chocolate, soft and chewy caramel and crunchy, salted nuts – you’re 100% going to love this recipe! It’s so good and the perfect Christmas candy!
I use natural almonds and salted peanuts, but you can choose any sort. Maybe pecan nuts? Or pistachio?
180-200 g nuts (I use natural almonds and salted peanuts)
50 g butter
300 g caster sugar
300 g heavy cream
210 g golden syrup (or light corn syrup)
1 tbsp glucose syrup
1 tsp vanilla paste or vanilla extract
1-1/2 tsp flake salt (depends if you use salted or unsalted nuts)
300 g chocolate (to dip the candy in)
- Place the nuts in small piles, about 7-10 nuts in each pile, on a silicone baking mat or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside while you make the caramel.
- Add butter, sugar, heavy cream, golden syrup, glucose syrup and vanilla in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower to medium heat and continue to boil until the caramel reaches 125°C/257°F. It takes about 20-25 minutes. Stir carefully every now and then.
- Remove the suacepan from the heat when the caramel is done. Add the salt (stir just for a few seconds, if you stir too much the caramel might crystallize). Let the caramel cool for a little while (just a few minutes) so that it has a slightly thicker consistency, if it is too loose it will flow out too much when you pour it over the nuts.
- Use a tablespoon or a candy funnel/confectionery funnel to pour caramel (about 1-2 tbsp) over each pile of nuts. Use a silicone spatula if the caramel flows away and/or if you want to give the clusters a better shape. (click HERE to see a video for better explanation).
- Put the candy in the fridge until the caramel hardens before dipping them in chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl over a saucepan with simmering water.
- Remove the candy from the fridge and dip each candy in the chocolate. I like to use a fork when I do this. Put the chocolate covered candy back on the baking sheet and let it set at room temperature / or in the fridge. Done! Store the candy in a jar at room temperature.